Sunday, May 13, 2012

Embracing Imperfection




When I was a little girl, I could remember, my mom making breakfast and dinner for us. And I remember one night in particular, when she had made dinner after a long, hard day at work. 


On that evening so long ago, my mom placed a plate of vegetables, salad and burned chappati in front of my dad. 


I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed'   Yet all my dad did was, to reach for his chappati, smile at mom and ask me how my day was at school. I don't remember what I told him that night, but, I do remember watching him smear chatani on that chappati and eat every bite? 

When I got up from the table that evening, I remember hearing my mom apologize to my dad For burning the chapati. And I'll never forget what he said. Baby, I love burnt chapati. 
Later that night, I went to kiss daddy good night and I asked him if he really liked his chapati burnt. He wrapped me in his arms and said Dear , your momma put in a hard day at work today and she's real tired, And besides, a little burnt chappati never hurt anyone.

You know life is full of imperfect things and imperfect people.I am not the best housekeeper or cook. 

 What I'v learnt over the years , Is that learning to accept each other's faults , And choosing to celebrate each other's difference , Is one of the most important keys , for creating a healthy growing ,And lasting relationship. And that's my prayer for you today, that you will learn to take The good, the bad, and the ugly parts of your life , And lay them at the feet of God Because in the end, He's the only One who will be able to give you a relationship Where burnt chappati isn't a deal-breaker" We could extend this to any relationship, in fact . As understanding is the base of any relationship , Be it a husband - wife or parent - child or even with friends. 


Don't put the key to your happiness in Someone else's pocket, but, into your own


No comments: